Search ISU



Center for



FAQ Instructors

If I want to offer a professional development course through Idaho State University, what steps do I need to take?

You will need to submit a Continuing Education Approval Form. With each approval request, you will need to submit as much supplemental material as possible regarding the course (i.e. itineraries, syllabi, course outlines, etc.) This must be done a minimum of two (2) weeks prior to course begin date. No course may be entered into the university course schedule until final approval has been granted.

Top of page

What qualifies a course as eligible for professional development credit?

Courses are expected to directly impact student outcomes by equipping and enhancing teacher skills and educational tools. It must meet the guidelines and requirements set forth by the university’s Academic Affairs department as well as the Continuing Education Unit (CEU) national program. Courses offered for credit requires a minimum sixteen (16) hours of classroom contact time to award one (1) credit. Breaks and lunches, as well as assignments completed outside the classroom do not count towards contact hours.

Top of page

What is the approval process?

All professional development courses will be reviewed to ensure that the proposed course meets academic criteria regarding content, contact hours, and instructor qualifications. It must be approved by the Program Director for the Albion Center for Education Innovation; Dean for College of Education; Graduate Dean for Idaho State University; and Director for Continuing Education.

Top of page

Once my course has been approved for professional development and scheduled, what do I need to do?

You will be notified via email your course has been approved and scheduled. You will be given the following documents:

  • Instructor Course Information
  • Student Registration Information and Form
  • Attendance Sheet
  • Course Evaluation
  • End of Course Report

Top of page

Do I need to submit a Continuing Education Approval Form each time I offer a course that has been previously approved for professional development?

Yes. If you are offering a ‘repeat’ course that has previously been approved and offered, and are offering it again with no changes other than dates and/or location it will only need to be approved by the Program Director of the Albion Center for Education Innovation and Director for Continuing Education. However, the curriculum of the course should still be current and meet the standards and requirements set forth by the College of Education.

Top of page

How do I become an approved instructor for professional development through Idaho State University?

All professional development instructors must be approved by the Idaho State University College of Education and Graduate School. Instructors are expected to have an advanced graduate degree in their field, and be able to document significant professional experience. You will need to attach a vita with the Continuing Education Approval Form.

Top of page

Is any further action needed once my course is complete?

Yes. You will need to submit the following required information within five (5) days from end of course:

  • Complete Registration Form with Payment
  • Attendance Sheet (full attendance is mandatory)
  • Grades: (either S or U)
  • Course Evaluations
  • End of Course Report (indicate final # of participants and total fees collected)
  • Sample of Continuing Education Certificate (if non-credit)

Top of page

What is your grading policy?

All courses for professional development are either S (satisfactory) or U (unsatisfactory). Full attendance is mandatory for full credit and students need to submit reflection papers, assignments, and/or any course requirements (if applicable) to the instructor to determine satisfactory completion for grading.

Top of page

When/How do I post grades?

You will receive an email notification once grading opens that will prompt you to post grades in BengalWeb. In order to post grades via BengalWeb, per Idaho State University’s policy, you must hold a doctoral degree; otherwise the Director for the Albion Center for Education Innovation will be a proxy for grading. For instructions on how to enter grades, please visit For immediate help, contact IT Services at 282-4357 or the Office of the Registrar at 282-2661.

Top of page

What if I need to change a grade?

If an error has been made in recording or reporting grades, the instructor may initiate a grade change. If a student believes an error has occurred, the student should contact the instructor. A Change of Grade Form must be filled out and submitted to the Office of the Registrar whenever grading has closed for the current semester or for any change of grade from a previous semester (e.g. Incomplete, Not Reported, etc.). If grading for the current semester has not closed, instructors may change a grade for individual students via the Web Grading System. The Change of Grade Form must be signed by the instructor, Dean for the College of Education, and the Graduate Dean for Idaho State University.

Top of page


921 South 8th Avenue
Pocatello, Idaho, 83209