You could be a teacher in one year!
The Idaho State University College of Education can help you streamline your route to certification in three semesters with the Accelerated Program Option for Secondary Education Candidates.
You must hold a bachelor’s degree in a secondary content area (English, Math, Science, History, Music, Health Education or Art) in order to qualify for the Accelerated Program Option. Please contact the advising center for a complete list of approved content areas.
- Apply to ISU by May 1
- Complete a transcript evaluation request with the College of Education
- Apply to the Teacher Education Program by June 1
- Summer Session 1: EDUC 2201, EDUC 2204 and EDUC 2215
- Summer Session 2: EDUC 3301, EDUC 3302 and SPED 3350
- Fall Semester: EDUC 3309, EDUC 3311 and EDUC 4401
- Spring: Complete Student Teaching Internship
You must apply to Idaho State University by May 1. Classes begin May 17, 2014.
Requirements for Admission to the Accelerated Certification
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree
- 2.75 overall grade point average
- EDUC 2215 or equivalent competency
Requirements for Admission to the Teacher Education Program
- Grade of B or higher in at least two of the following areas with a grade no lower than C in any of the three areas:
- ENGL 1101 (English Composition) or ENGL 1102 (Critical Reading and Writing)
- COMM 1101 (Principles of Speech)
- Math 1123 (Mathematics in Modern Society) or 1127 (Language of Math) or 1160 (Brief Calculus) or 1170 (Calculus) or 1153 (Introduction to Statistics)
- Grade of C or higher in EDUC 2201 (Development and Individual Differences)
- Submission of qualifying Portfolio entry completed in EDUC 2201
- Recommendation from EDUC 2201 instructor
- Signed affidavit indicating awareness of Idaho Certification requirements
- Successful completion of the Admission Interview
- Successful background check
Students must select an approved 30 credit hour teaching endorsement and an approved 20 credit hour teaching endorsement, or an approved 45 credit hour single-subject teaching endorsement. Endorsement are strongly recommended for employability as opposed to a single subject major.
|Single Subject (45 credits)|
|Art||Family & Consumer Sciences|
|Business Education||Health Education|
|Communication and Rhetorical Studies||Physical Education|
|Major Endorsement(30 credits)|
|Communication and Rhetorical Studies||Physics|
|Minor Endorsement(20 credits)|
|Communication and Rhetorical Studies||Mathematics|
|ENL(English as a new language)||Spanish|
*Must be accompanied by a minor in Political Science, Economics, or History to meet state certification requirements.