Certification Programs

The College of Education offers degrees and certification programs designed to meet the Idaho standards and requirements for initial certification of professional school personnel approved by the Idaho State Board of Education and the Idaho State Department of Education.  Persons holding degrees are eligible for certification-only programs.  See the separate Certification-only requirements for each Certification Program. An Accelerated Certification Sequence of Courses is available for those who already hold a bachelor's degree and who are interested in the Idaho Standard Secondary Certificate.  Idaho also permits eligible persons to become certificated teachers without following a standard teacher education program through one of several Alternative Routes. Candidates for the Standard Secondary Certificate can also add endorsements to their certificate before or after graduation.

For those persons who need to pursue both a degree and certification, please see the Undergraduate Programs and Teacher Certification or Graduate Programs to learn about the degree requirements of those programs.

Persons completing an initial certification program (a.k.a. Program Completers) are eligible for recommendation from the College of Education for a standard teaching certificate as follows:

Standard Elementary Certificate (K-8)
Standard Elementary Certificate (K-12 for Art, English as a New Language, Music, or Physical Education)
Standard Secondary Certificate (6-12)
Standard Secondary Certificate (K-12 for English as a New Language, French, German, Health, Music, Physical Education, or Spanish).
Standard Exceptional Child Certificate (K-12)
**Administrator Certificate (Pre K-12)
**Pupil Personnel Services Certificate (Pre K-12)

**For administrator certificates, pupil personnel services certificates (such as school psychologist or school guidance counselor), and the Standard Exceptional Child Certificate with the Hearing Impaired (K-12) endorsement, see the College of Education section of the Graduate School Catalog or pertinent sections of the undergraduate or graduate catalogs for programs offered by the Division of Health Sciences. Candidates interested in becoming certified teachers of children who are deaf/hard of hearing in Idaho will need to earn a bachelor’s degree and have met the requirements for a Standard Elementary Certificate (K-8), a Standard Secondary Certificate (6-12), or a Standard Exceptional Child Certificate with the Generalist (K-12) endorsement.

Contact Information

Jamie Webster
Advising Coordinator, Undergraduate Advising Center
Email: websjami@isu.edu
Phone: (208) 282-2783

Last Update: 7/28/2014 Saupe aka-Senzo

[an error occurred while processing this directive]